/>

January 18, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday | January 2017


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme (or monthly in my case), hosted by the amazing Jill at Breaking the Spine.

Since I am a rebellious blogger, I am not following the traditional Waiting on Wednesday rules. Instead of posting the meme weekly, I am going to do it monthly (work smarter, not harder). Plus, my WOW will only include books that will be releasing (or have already been released) in the same month, so you don't have to wait forever to get these beauties. 

This month's books vary from the start of a promising high fantasy to the ending of a favorite series. There are some extremely exciting books and some of them are my most anticipated of 2017!




The Alchemists of Loom 
by Elise Kova
Published on January 10
My Review



Elise Kova is an auto-read author for me. I loved the world and characters she created in Air Awakens (even though I still have to finish the rest of the series). Alchemists of Loom is another high fantasy novel, but that is where the similarities stop. Loom is an intricate world where mechanics replaces elemental magic, which I really loved. There is a whole new magic system to explore, as well as a reinvention of dragons that is just pure genius!

Queen of Chaos 
by Kat Ross
Published on January 18, 2017




I have raved and raved about this series on my blog, and I hope it is finally getting to someone. This amazing series started with The Midnight Sea and just kept getting better and better. The ancient Persian setting was completely unique and enlightening. Not to mention, there is quite a cast of diverse characters with different disabilities and sexualities represented.

P.S. The Midnight Sea is currently FREE on Amazon. 

Caraval 
by Stephanie Garber
Published on January 31, 2017



I feel like Caraval is the Truthwitch of 2017 due to all of the hype. Millions of bloggers (Are there even millions of book bloggers?) have posted, tweeted, squealed, and fangirled over this book and it is not even out yet! Even though the hype disappointed me with Truthwitch, this story seems more up my alley. 




Allegedly 
by Tiffany D. Jackson
Published on January 17, 2017



In the era we live in, racism and prejudice seep into every aspect of life, books like Allegedly are needed. This #ownvoices debut looks like it will shed some light on the dangers of profiling and false incrimination. I hope this book can help bring the injustices of our world to the light. 

Under Rose-Tainted Skies 
by Louise Gornall
Published on January 3, 2017



Thanks to #ReadDiverse2017 and 2017 Diverse Reading Challenge, I am looking for more diverse books to fill my shelves. I hope that this novel will be an accurate interpretation of agoraphobia and the struggles that come with it. Agoraphobia is not a topic that I see addressed in YA every often, so I have high hopes for this diverse debut.

Lost Girls 
by Merrie Destefano
Published on January 3, 2017



Thrillers and mystery novels are not normally my territory, but Lost Girl's synopsis intrigued me too much. I have really been into the memory loss trope, so the combination of suspense and amnesia is exactly what I need right now. 

Disclaimer: My original list included Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth, but I removed it due to discussions about its racist qualities. At the time I posted it, I was unaware of its poor representation and potentially offensive worldbuilding. But, I am glad that I caught my error and fixed it. 
What books are you looking forward to this month? Are you planning to read any of these? Have you found any other good diverse books releasing this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment